[FC] Corvanatics Digest, Vol 54, Issue 17 - windows, covers, & the delete key

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 26 16:44:40 EDT 2009

Now, please, nobody get mad at me, 'cause several of the bed topper
ideas are good,

BUT,  they seem to be coming from folks that can't even edit emails, so
I am not sure how good these folk's credentials are when it comes to the
Bright Ideas Department -- notice, *I* have deleted all the previous
stuff about windows, along with everything else  [Edit > Select All >
Delete -- works Great!]    ;-)

How many times do I need to see the windows posts?  I read them once.  I
am interested, as I need to change the seal on my rampy project, but as
I said, I have already read them, and I don't know if going with the old
rubber of an NOS seal that's available is any better choice than a new
one that may ar may not fit well.

I do know that when I had a professional instal a new windshield in my
old Corvan back in the early seventies, he used a straight rubber and
centered the cut at the middle of the bottom, and it worked really well
at keeping out water and keeping the glass in, and it didn't curl in the
corners, either.

I remember getting back door glass out of a junqued Brier and putting it
in my rear doors myself -- seemed the learning curve was a bit steep,
but the glass is still installed -- think I recall thinking the next
time, I'd just take the whole door as it would have been easier to change.

A "canvas" Tonneau cover is "easiest", if you have an upholstery shop do
it for you, and they look good, too, if you put in a couple support bars
to keep it from sagging in the middle.  If you want a glass one, it
shouldn't be too hard to make a plug using your truck and plywood, then
making a one-off mold for a one-off cover, or for a little bit extra
time and expense, making a multi-use mold and selling a few when your
buddies see how nice yours is.

Or maybe you are going for the rustic look, with some muslin, a sewing
machine, and some PVC pipe for the "covered wagon" effect, ala a home
made headliner in reverse.

I like Tim's old cover, sort of a tonneau snapped to a hinged wooden
frame so you didn't have to put the male snap part on the body.  So,
Tim, ultimately what happened to the old cover?  Old age?

Media and sand are great additives for a no slip floor, but those no
slip floors are a real pain to sweep clean.  I'm thinking that sealing
the seams with POR-15 and then a quick trip to the Rhino Line shop would
be a good bed finish.  Or, do you need to sand blast that POR-15 stuff
to get anything to stick to it?

I may be yammering on, but notice that I'm not repeating anybody else's
post, either --

Bill Strickland