[FC] warm/hot starts

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 27 12:59:54 EDT 2009

>First, I'd make sure it's ... not a fuel issue. ... I've been happy with a Pertronix ...

Agreed that it is most likely a fuel issue.  The only real advantage a
Pertronix has over points is that it comes with a new advance plate, a
part often needing replacement in a Corvair (and it is a simple
"bolt-in" installation, and purchase of one helps keep our Corvair
vendors in business).  The Pertronix itself seems to have a reasonably
high failure rate for an electronic item though, and since I drive my
cars, I prefer a unit (points) that does not have a likelihood of
failure just because I happen to be somewhere between Jordon Valley, OR
and Winnemucca, NV.  If you do convert, carrying a back-up unit of some
sort is highly recommended, even if it is just the cell phone / AAA card
/ Corsa membership roster route (probably not much cell service in the
location mentioned, unless you have a sat phone).

It is also agreed that points require reasonable periodic maintenance,
but most of us do not drive our Corvairs 25,000 + miles a year, either,
and what is the point <get it> of having old cars if it is not to
maintain and drive them?

Check out the weather in Winnemucca for your next convention, highs only
in the mid-nineties, humidity about 20%, chance of rain - zero, gambling
- legal, and the odds would be that you'd be the Big Show in town
(unlike the clamor of Vegas or Reno).  Nice warm summer heat, but not
too hot, comfortable cool nights for that top down cruise --
http://www.winnemucca.nv.us/

Bill Strickland