[FC] alternator installation?

Wild8bill at aol.com Wild8bill at aol.com
Wed Jul 29 12:01:22 EDT 2009

I have a "one wire" internally regulated alternator, and need a wiring
diagram (!). I have tried the obvious ground and a single wire to the battery,
but get a power drain back through the alternator when key is off. I
connected a  relay to only allow the alternator to pass a current when key is on,
but  alternator is producing 18 volts, which is too high and will damage
circuits. I  have not attached the former "gen/oil" dash light wire because I
don't know  which lug to go to, R or F. would that wire then reduce the
output to an  acceptable 15 volts? And wouldn't the whole "one wire" thing be
incorrect if I  have to hook up other wires to make it operate correctly?

Anyone experienced with putting one of these on their truck who can give me
 some instructions or a link to a schematic would be a great help.

Bill
Richmond CA
61 rampside
63 greenbrier