[FC] alternator installation?

Ken Hand vairmech at aol.com
Wed Jul 29 20:08:58 EDT 2009

I think we have been through this once before, either with you or someone else not to long ago. If there is any voltage?feedback through the alternator the diode trio is bad. Also if the voltage is at 18v then the regulator is shot also or not seeing the correct voltage to regulate. That point doesn't matter because you already have a feed back through the alternator making it bad without going any farther. Relays and any other thing you do only cover up the real problem.

As far as Figuring which terminal is which all it takes is a test light. Hook the test light to the POS of the battery, I am pretty sure that the "R" terminal will go to ground and the "F" terminal will do nothing. If that is the way it is then the "R" terminal is the one that goes to the idiot light. The "F" terminal should have battery voltage run to it from the battery or at least the POS terminal of the alternator. Now, IF the test light lights up on both terminals, "R" and "F" or even the Pos terminal on the alternator,?then that is another reason to have the alternator repaired before even going any farther.

Ken Hand
248-613-8586
www.corvairmechanic.com