[FC] Battery update

econousaparts at fuse.net econousaparts at fuse.net
Mon Jun 1 21:36:54 EDT 2009

    I finally got time to go pick up a new battery for the 63 Corvan tonight at Autozone. I asked for a group 51 R and they showed me 2 different brands both clearly marked 51 R and neither was correct. Both had the positive terminal to the outboard rear and the negative to the outboard front. In addition,this battery was about an inch taller than mine and about 5 inches shorter in length.
    My old battery was a Deka brand my mechanic buddy ordered 3 years ago from Kentucky Motors here locally(KOI chain of stores))and its toast,wont charge up at all. Autozone had Duralast and another off brand cheaper one. After doing some comparisons to other batteries on the shelf,I found a Duralast battery Group 51DL,not 51R or RDL(DL for Duralast I assume) that had the termianls positioned correctly but still overall a miniature battery compared to mine. I was concerned the cables wouldnt reach and that the battery was too tall to fit but I took a gamble and figured it might work and low and behold it did fit and the cables reached.
     So long story long,it's all good in my neighborhood. Just wanted to update my findings in case anyone else was getting ready to get one.

--
                   Tim in Ky
               EconoUSAparts