[FC] 140 squealing

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 5 16:02:26 EDT 2009

>I will use my "stethoscope" ( neoprene gas hose) to try to locate the sounds' source.

You are referring to the "pilot bushing", right?  Sounds to me like you
need to positively eliminate anything else, first. I like a straight
wooden stick, like a dowel -- easier on the fingers around spinning
machines, if you are careful -- wood is a great transmitter of sound,
ala they make violins out of wood, not rubber.  Real mechanic's
stethoscopes are nice, too, especially when you are having trouble
diagnosing noises.

If you haven't tried it without the belt, plain water, like from a
garden hose, makes a good belt lube that will temporarily silence most
belt noise that might interfere with your listening.  And I've heard
some of the strangest noises coming from belts -- I remember replacing a
timing chain in a Courier pick up because of belt noise, once.  (It was
hi-mileage, and needed preventive maintenance anyway.)

Bill Strickland