[FC] Rampside Engine

Greg Shaw 65vair180 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 14 00:08:28 EDT 2009

  I sent this to V V and realized I might be missing some people with valuable first hand experience.  I have a 61 Rampside 80 HP 4
Speed. The engine is out (poor compression) and I temporarily have a
car engine in the truck (not a whole lot better). I planned on
rebuilding the 80 HP but have since bought a camper for the truck and
fear the 80 HP will be inadequate.

What I would like to have is an engine with enough power to handle the
extra weight and still go 60 MPH with some power to spare on the
highway. I would like decent MPG also (I'm not asking for too much am
I?). I'm not too concerned about acceleration. I don't want a dog but
I'm not looking to spin the tires either.
  I know
the truck block can be ground out to accept the later, longer stroke crank.  I'd like to know if going with a stock engine would come close or perhaps the block modification and a certain cam/head combination would give me what I'm
looking for.

I know the axle ratio makes a difference. I'm not sure what axle ratio
I have. I'll have to check once the Rampside is out of its winter bag.
I would consider changing the axle if it would make a difference. Any
advice directly (your experience, good or bad) or directions to information sources would be greatly
appreciated. I don't mind doing the digging if I'm shown where to
start. Thanks in advance.

Greg
Deartborn, MI