[FC] Rampside Engine

Ken Hand vairmech at aol.com
Sat Mar 14 15:32:22 EDT 2009

??? I know exactly what you are asking for. I didn't have a camper but I pulled a trailer all over the country with a van, it would top out at about 75 with a tail wind and get 17 MPG. There were a couple of things that I learned with that rig. First if you were pulling a grade and the speed dropped to 55 and you were at WOT you may as well drop to 40 MPH and use low gear. If you didn't the engine would overheat. I used a 3.55 rear gear, when I had the 3.89 in I could run 55 MPH and the engine was screaming and the van would only do 65 topped out. Also my fuel mileage dropped to about 12 MPG.

? You will want to use a 164 engine with 110 heads cleaned and deflashed. Take about .030" off the gasket surface, do a little port work on the exhaust and then use a 260 cam. The engine will then pull a stump but you won't win any speed championships. I used late model carbs with the enrichment jet and and #49 jets. I ran regular gas with very little spark knock.

? If you don't want to modify your block, I have a 64 FC engine block and crank if you need.

Ken Hand
248-613-8586
www.corvairmechanic.com