[FC] electrical short problem

Ken Hand vairmech at aol.com
Mon May 4 23:05:58 EDT 2009

The first thing I would check is the alternator. It sounds like there may be a diode bad and letting a reverse current through the alternator.

Try disconnecting the the red wire or positive wire going to the alternator. If the battery stays up then you just found your problem. If the battery goes dead still, you will have to start eliminating systems until you find where the draw is. While we are on the alternator, a quick check is touch the positive wire to the alternator terminal, there should be NO spark. That sometimes is a quick check but not a real positive check.

Ken Hand
248-613-8586
www.corvairmechanic.com