[FC] Future FC Owner Questions

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Mon May 25 19:07:24 EDT 2009

>1)? How hard is it to lower and lift the ramp on a Rampside?? I've got strong arms but weak legs and I walk with crutches and I'm curious if dropping the ramp will be a big deal or nothing much to worry about.

Your choice -- IF you lower it, you'll have to raise it to drive away.
Excellent advice has been given, find one and try it, as your mileage
may vary from our experiences.

>2)? I've read that Greenbriers have troubles in cross winds.?

The only real issues I ever had in the Corvan was running accross
northen New Mexico on a two lane road with about a 60 mph crosswind --
yeah, you knew there was a cross wind -- only issues were the big rigs
that thought this was a short cut to somewhere, also -- when we passed
in meeting, it was "interesting" -- no worse than any other similar
sized vehicle. If one wants it heavier, and if I lived where the winds
blew hard a lot of the time, I would consider that, a piece of half inch
plate cut to fit into the lower floor would solve the problem (and
generate others, probably).

>For those of you that have driven both Greenbriers and Dodge Caravans, how would you compare them?

We owned an extended  V-6 Voyager during the 90's long enough to get
near 200,000 miles on it -- about the same length of time and mileage we
put on our Corvan in the seventies.  (Also have three Fieros, among
others.)  They don't compare -- the Plymouth is like driving a poor
handling passenger car (nearly rolled it once on ruts on I-5 (seventy
mph lane change) -- replaced the oem tires with new Michelins and fixed
that).  The Corvan drove like a great handling truck (most trucks drive
pretty nice -- one would be hard pressed to stay up with my son-in-law
and his one ton Dodge diesel p/u), but with forward seating -- if one
can get comfortable with having the road in your face, they are great!
It took a bit to get comfortable with it, mostly you tend to follow
other vehicles at a more respectful distance when you first start
driving any rig where you sit in front of the front tires instead of
behind them.  They need "very good" shocks on the front, ala the
optional oem heavy duty or better. My wife had no "issues" driving it
either.

Currently have a 1960 700 for an operable collectible Corvair for
driving (like the 22nd last, car events) and am working on a rampy as a
to be daily driver, fwiw.  The Corvan was used hard in it's day, shows
excessive wear and rust, and is now the parts source for the rampy project.

mo,

Bill Strickland
Oregon City, OR