[FC] gas heater

James Davis jld at wk.net
Sun Nov 1 22:32:14 EST 2009

There is a world of difference between an FC and car gasoline heater.
Be sure you check out thoroughly both electric motors before installing
it as most all maintenance requires you remove the entire unit.
Chapter eleven in the 61 shop manual gives the instructions for setting
up the unit and how it is supposed to function.  There is also a small
wiring harness from the fuse panel to the unit that is usually not
included when you buy a unit.

 Function is simple.  There are three slide cables on the control unit.
The one furtherest to the left high as three positions off - low heat -
heat.  It selects the blower speed (high/low) and opens the air door to
the burner can.  The middle slide is for the thermostat and controls the
temperature of the air coming into the cabin.  The far right slide opens
and closes the defroster vents to redirect the air.  Most parts are not
serviced so finding replacements is fun especially at swap meets.

There is a diagnostic chapter in the Basics Manual.

Jim Davis