[FC] UPDATE RE: FC front grill gasket

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 6 13:13:58 EST 2009

>i have seen that gasket, ... now carefully looking at the 65 assembly manual , i see it is on the inner  edge of the grill opening on the body. they call it #3856199 seal and use  approx. .04 oz of 3771312 adhesive to attach it.

Okay, maybe it is a production change for the later models -- I do not
see this gasket in the 1963 Assembly manual, sec 1 sht 95, titled Front
Grille, Ornament & Door Name Plate

This illustration does show an unidentifed, segmented dark strip around
the interior of the body opening, but no separate or identified gasket
-- there is also a note to "spray interior sufaces of plenum with
aluminum preservative coating after final paint bake (see paint
instruction manual)"

If this gasket covers that interior edge, it could be for sealing the
"flap" on the later FC's I suppose

Bill Strickland