[FC] Rear Suspension Bolts

Ben and Lynn Stiles lbstiles at verizon.net
Wed Oct 7 20:55:36 EDT 2009

Hi all:

I am wondering if any of you have ever tackled reinstalling/attaching the rear suspension when the two rearmost control arm bolts are rotten away and need replaced? My Greenbrier has been "missing" these bolts for years, the weight of the Greenbrier holding everything together.

Lately, though, I notice a shimmy at 65-70 MPH and wonder if the lack of those bolts as well as the rubber cushions associated to them is causing some issue back there. I am most worried about finding the "support assembly (underbody)" to catch the bolt threads. (1962 Assembly Manual Section 4 Sheet 6...Rear suspension).

The head of the bolts can still be seen under the control arm (held there by 47 years of PA rust), but when the weight is jacked off the rear suspension, the bolt bodies are very obviously nonexistent as the suspension hangs in the balance.

Any advice, suggestions, etc?

Thanks!  Ben