[FC] Rear transaxle alignment

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 13 13:44:50 EDT 2010

>... bring the rope in until the rope touched the front  of the tire in the rear. when it touched I would measure the distance from the rope to the front tire. This is where I got the 2.0 inch measurement. The other measurement on the right front was 1.75 not the typo of 1.34. This told me that my rear tires would be wearing on the inside of the tire on both sides.

Well, you have the right idea about what you are measuring, but the
wrong idea about what it does -- that amount of toe-in will not cause
wear on the inside of the tires (outside, maybe).  So, since you are
just sort of guessing at what you are doing, may I suggest reading up on
it -- there are any number of fairly good websites explaining DIY
alignment, just Google for <string alignment>, or check out the
automotive section in the local library, or best, as has already been
suggested, take you money and a hand full of correct shims down to a
"good" alignment shop (I don't mean some franchise outlet like Goodyear
or Firestone - no disrespect, just the odds are not in your favor
there).  Maybe take the shop manual, too, but at a "good" alignment
shop, they will know what to do.  "Good" is important, otherwise you may
as well DIY.  AND there are "four wheel alignments," and then there are
"four wheel thrust angle alignments" -- one wants the latter.

The front and rear track width is the same on FC's isn't it?  I don't
see a spec in the 61 shop manual.

I've normally aligned street radials at zero to a sixteenth toe-in with
good results.  Front and rear.

Bill Strickland