[FC] suspension

Ben and Lynn Stiles lbstiles at verizon.net
Fri Apr 23 22:17:18 EDT 2010

Greetings all:

I am befuddled with the Greenbrier's front suspension. I have the infamous Hand suspension modifications up front (one coil longer as my van is a camper...and heavier) and I am noting that every time I come to a stop I get a low grindy sound like the coil springs compressing under the pressure of the stop and often when I turn left or right, I get a pronounced clunking sound and can feel this in my steering wheel and on the floor under my feet. Also the brakes squeal a lot once warm. The tire balancing weights are not rubbed as they would be were the clunking sound coming from the tie rod ends. I run stock FC rims.

I am thinking something about the suspension geometry is not right...what would cause these sounds and clunking? Could the pig tail be too short on the cut coil spring where it seats in the spring tower thus giving it room to move as the coil compresses under the weight of the truck when stopping?

I am at wit's end. If I could rewind the clock two years and remove all of the new suspension parts and leave it stock, I would do so in a heartbeat. The front springs/shocks do make a nice smooth ride, but I would take the "head through the ceiling on every bump" feeling of a stock FC suspension over this anytime. I have not really enjoyed driving the Greenbrier for many months. Iowa is coming (and we are driving this truck...) any suggestions eagerly welcomed.

Thanks!  Ben