[FC] Coil install

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Tue Aug 10 21:06:40 EDT 2010

Hi Ben,

Keep the troubleshooting as simple as you can.  You need spark and fuel - the engine just quit, as I recall, so you are correct to be following spark.  So, pull the coil wire and hold about 1/8" from ground and crank the engine.  No spark?  Ok, check for power at the coil.  If no power, trace the wires back and look for power, repair the break where you find it.  You can also test at this point by running a jumper from the battery directly to the + post of the coil.  If you have power, run a jumper to ground, turn on the ignition (do not crank) and when you unclip the ground you should get a spark.  If no spark, you have a coil issue.  If you get spark, then there's a problem with the points/ignitor/whatever under the cap that makes and breaks the ground.

Good luck!

--Bryan