[FC] Winter storage

Andy . rumbleseat66 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 23 17:55:59 EST 2010

A few random thoughts in no particular order :

First off - I am not a fan of ethanol as a fuel or fuel additive.

Cars spit (sometimes poured) water out of the tailpipes long before ethanol was added to fuel.  Ever notice mufflers have the little drain holes in the bottom?  The heat of combustion coupled with the cold exhaust and air condense the moisture out of the air.  I don't believe it is unburned ethanol.

I think people do more harm than good by starting stored vehicles periodically.  UNLESS they are fully warmed up to the point of burning out all the moisture created in the engine and exhaust.  Merely idling will probably not accomplish this - I prefer they be driven.  Also gets the tires in a different position to prevent flat spots.  Why start something and run it just long enough to get everything wet?

Water does not mix well with real gasoline - goes to the bottom of the tank, carbs... can be a real pain.  Alcohol and water do mix - the alcohol allows a small amount of water to be suspended in the gas and burned with little or no side effects.  "Drygas" and other "water remover" additives are merely alcohols that allow the water to mix evenly in the fuel.   Speaking of water in fuel, I have read that can be caused by condensation in a gas tank from normal temperature changes.  This can be mitigated by keeping the tank full during storage (less air in tank).

Yes, I am aware of that uncertainty of putting 18 gallons of fresh fuel in something that will just sit all winter.  I personally have always used "Stabil" and (knock on wood) have never had any fuel issues.  Obviously you want to run the vehicle long enough to get a full concentration of the treated gas in the carbs.  This mixing/titration may take longer than you may think on a vehicle with float bowls and no bypass fuel return.

If you don't have it in your lawnmower and gas powered yard tools you are asking for trouble.  A Corvair carb has huge passages compared to those carbs.  You just have to remember to treat the fuel when it is fresh... can't really revive stale fuel 6 months after you last used the old chainsaw...

I assume most new Corvair fuel pumps and carb kits are fairly compatible with the ethanol.

I don't like ethanol because it contains less energy (BTUs per gallon) than real fuel... less power and fuel economy.

I won't even comment on the circus of growing corn for ethanol vs. corn for food.  Even algore recently admitted that whole thing is stupid.

Crude oil is roughly $90/barrel today.  $90/42 gallons per barrel = $2.14 per gallon for crude oil.  I just paid 2.85 a gallon today for gasoline.  47 cents per gallon was state and federal tax.  So for some evil big oil company to prospect, drill, ship 10,000 miles, refine, deliver, pay a boatload of additional taxes, insurance, litigation on for a mere 24 cents on that gallon - I am not bitching.  I don't see how they do it.  Obviously that 24 cent gross margin is not all profit - it has to be spread out to many people.

Can't blame your local gas station owner either.  They barely break even on a credit card gas transaction.  I like my local station owner so I always pay cash.  Why pay Visa 7 cents a gallon instead of the guy trying to make a living running the gas station.

Most everything you eat, drink, smoke consume is manufactured with higher margins than the gasoline you buy.  And it is pretty cool stuff.... propelling 3,000 lb vehicles around at 10-15 cents per mile... beats the hell out of walking.

Take out that whopping 4% profit margin of the big health insurance providers and see what your premiums do.  Drop 4% or go up?  I bet go up.

Good day.

Andy