[FC] 62 Greenbrier axles

Andy . rumbleseat66 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 14 00:08:03 EST 2010

I don't like the sound of this.  I have always noticed that the drums were not parallel with the backing plates on early models but saw it on enough different vehicles to assume it to be normal.  When you say the axles are rubbing the plates, I assume you are talking about the suspension arms they pass thru (like when they bind when you let the rear of the motor down without taking the axles out... Thinking out loud here as I type... sounds like the rear of the motor is positioned too low - like it is totally missing a rubber biscuit under the bolt head... or both rubber pieces stacked together, not on either side of the body mount like they are supposed to be to isolate vibration.  This should be somewhat evident in the sheet metal / fabric seals not lining up correctly as well.  I reckon it could also be the transmission or subframe mounts  - too late to think that dynamic / failure mode out.

I would definitely make sure the powertrain is oriented correctly - you should not have to shim the axles.  The only shims are between the crossmember and the transmission to set rear toe by moving the PT fore/aft.

Hope this helps

Andy