[FC] FC axles

Clark Hartzel chartzel at comcast.net
Thu Jan 14 08:07:47 EST 2010

I had the same problem with the brake drums rubbing the tops of the
backing plates.  I hate to admit I used the same solution!  By adding
some washers between the axle flange and the drum, the rubbing was
stopped.  I suspect the real problem is over the years the rubber
transmission mounts and engine mount deteriorate, letting the powertrain
"sag" down.  Replacing the transmission mounts while the powertrain is
still in the vehicle is difficult.  You would have to support the
transmission with a jack and remove the transmission crossmember to gain
access to the rubber mounts.  The engine mount would be the same.
Support the engine on a jack while removing the rear mount.  On one of
my dune buggies with FC axles I just got rid of all the rubber and made
solid steel mounts.
The washer trick worked so I just left it that way!  If you want a
better solution than washers, take your brake drums to somebody with a
brake lathe and have 1/8" cut off the face where the rubbing occurs.
Clark Hartzel