[FC] Synthetic oil...serious tapping

Ben and Lynn Stiles lbstiles at verizon.net
Fri Jul 9 21:28:43 EDT 2010

Hello everyone-

I cahnged the oil in the 'Brier to Mobil 1 synthetic (10-W-40) before
leaving for Iowa. All went well...until the second to last day when I
started it up and such a racket!! IT was tapping like crazy. Well, we
had to keep moving, so we did. It got quieter as it got warmer
throughout the day. Got home with no issues. I just started it up again,
and it is tapping plenty, though not as badly as that second to last day
of vacation.

Should I be adding the ZDDP stuff anyway, even though I went with
synthetic oil to avoid its use? Could I be having issues with the top
end lifters?