[FC] Floppy Arm Rests

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Thu Jul 22 22:53:59 EDT 2010

At 18:56 7/22/2010 -0700, Jim Forgey wrote:
>Hey Everybody,
>
>Hope the summer is going well, and hope the convention was a success.

The schedule seems to have worked out okay but there was a lot of events
packed into a short time.

>I need to come up with a solution for the arm rests on the front doors of
>my Brier - Passenger side is really wobbly and Drivers side basically has
>nothing left to screw into.

If I recall, the arm rests are attached with long #12 or #14 sheet screws.

>Does anyone have a solution for this?? I need to get a nut or something in
>place behind the sheet metal before I attach the door panel and arm rest etc.

I think you have solved your own problem; somehow attach a nut in the
location of the stripped hole.  There are various rivet gun and collapsible
nut inserts that should work.  Go to your hardware store (a REAL hardware
store) and ask them for something like this:

http://www.emhart.com/products/pop/jacknut.asp

Once installed, you may need to add a strategically placed small sheet
screw to keep the insert from spinning.  A 1/4-20 insert should be plenty
strong.  Get some 1/4-20 of the correct length to install the arm rests.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI