[FC] stuck jets

Ken Hand vairmech at aol.com
Sun Mar 21 23:22:12 EDT 2010

 In order to get jets out of a carb I use a drift punch that is the same size as the head of the jet and give it a good rap with a hammer. They generally come out pretty easy after that.

When you say excessive for the #52 jets, that depends on what carbs are installed. If you have a non enrichment carb then #52 could be a little lean, (not really excessive, what ever way you mean), You could probably use a a #54 or even a #55. The reason being is that the non enrichment carb leans out at high speed, and high speed is not necessarily meaning 100 MPH! Anything above 3000 RPM at wide open throttle is high speed. Idle and part throttle is controled by the idle speed jet that is part of the cluster inside the carb.

What really needs to be done is have the carbs apart, know what you have, then build accordingly. One thing to keep in mind that there are several different clusters. They all look the same but you need to look at the numbers and measure the idle jet.

Your stutter/stalling could be from a combination of things within the carb. Main jets don't really come into effect until after 1/2 throttle or more but do have some small effect in the first 1/2 travel.

Ken Hand
248-613-8586
www.corvairmechanic.com