[FC] Fuel tank sending unit -

Ken Hand vairmech at aol.com
Thu Nov 4 06:24:11 EDT 2010

I think the answer would be to get a new early sender unit and put the electrical rheostat in the FC unit. That should cure what you are experiencing. You probably could even take the float arm and modify it so you have a new contact.

One of the problems with any of these units is electrical continuity. the only real contact these units have for a ground is through the little spring inside the rheostat housing that contacts the housing and the shaft. If there is any rust, dirt corrosion in this area you will get erratic readings with everything else in perfect condition. The wound heostat can be checked for continuity by taking the analog meter contacting the lead out and then running the other probe up and down the wires, CAREFULLY. If there is a break in the rheostat then the meter will not work past that point otherwise it is a contact problem.

Ken Hand
248-613-8586
www.corvairmechanic.com