[FC] Phone Co 1963 Corvair Rampside

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Wed Nov 10 15:58:29 EST 2010

Hi Harry,

You might wish to slow down just a little and do a little background research.  There are two basic crank types - early and late.  The later cranks are longer stroke and required clearance in the case, the jugs, and the cam, plus the pistons have a different deck height.  What Bill saw was some parts for an early crank, and some for late.  I haven't looked over the photos that closely, but he's been around Corvairs for quite a while, if he says something doesn't look quite right, I'd double check it.

Regarding heads - I would highly recommend you use a shop that does Corvair heads.

But, before you do that, I'd verify what you have is really supposed to go together and decide what parts you want to use.  If you're rebuilding anyway, the difference between an early and late engine is noticeable, especially in an FC.

--Bryan