[FC] Clutch chatter revisited/ FC STABILIZER INSTRUCTIONS

Ken Hand vairmech at aol.com
Sat Nov 20 08:41:56 EST 2010

 OK, I have to chime in here. With a clutch, it should not chatter no matter how you adjust it or use it. I have done everything anyone here has said to cure a chattering clutch. One time I slipped it, one time I put the front bumper against a tree and full throttle in fourth, that seemed to help but was never a cure. What really cured the problem was another clutch system including flywheel. I couldn't afford a bolted and faced one then. What I did was a new clutch plate with a select used pressure plate and flywheel. After that there was no more chatter. What I had determined was there were hot spots, (to be expected with slipping it), but there was the slightest hint of an oil and the pressure plate fingers were not even all around indicating a bad pressure plate. The clutch did not slip ever, the test for that is to put it in fourth and if applying full throttle as you let the clutch out, the engine stalls. If the engine does anything other than stall there is a problem with the clutch system.

Ken Hand
248-613-8586
www.corvairmechanic.com