[FC] more alternator

wern3 at juno.com wern3 at juno.com
Tue Oct 5 12:10:47 EDT 2010

Took my 1965 37 amp alternator out of Rampy to A-Zone last night. They offer a free testing. The test machine does not give out any numbers it simply runs the thing up to a specified RPM, & then you get either a green "Good" light or a Red "bad" light. The green light came on and the guy gave me back the alternator. I asked about the black talc- fine powder on the fan blades and he thohght it looked like rubber dust from the fanbelt. He suggested I look for something rubbing on the belt I cleaned it and reinstalled and will continue tracking the problem. The only thing i could see was that there is a belt guard close to the top fan pulley that was very close, so i backed it away a bit. More info to come. In the process of cleaning up the motor and blowing compressed air through the oil cooler, etc  I spotted a very loose lower mounting bolt on the idler pulley. I tightened that up a bunch, now we will see what happens next.
Thanks to everyone for help and testimonials and experiences!
Tim