[FC] Shims between Transmission And Front Engine Mount Bracket Question!

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Mon Oct 11 10:18:49 EDT 2010

"...My shims between the transmission and front engine mount  are broken
and missing  and i need to install correct ones, does  anyone know what too
doo! Shop manual says replace what was taken off in orginal  location ! Need
help thks..."

The best thing is to take the van to a competent shop for a four  wheel
alignment; if it is a shop that services older, classic cars, they will  have
shims. Good idea to take the shop manual with you (mainly for the alignment
specks). With our vans, rear toe is not really adjustable, but the shims you
 mention DO set the rear thrust angle relative to the front  wheels. When
the shimming is incorrect, the vehicle will "crab" (the rear  wheels will not
directly follow the front wheels).

Of course, there are things you can try, yourself using strings,  measuring
tapes, wet tires driven across dry pavement, etc., but I prefer a  digital
alignment rack + a tech who knows Corvairs. If you are anywhere  near St.
Pete Fl, I know of such a shop & tech.

Mike Mauro
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
_http://community.webshots.com/user/mikeamauro_