[FC] Shims between Transmission And Front Engine Mount Bracket Question!

Ken Hand vairmech at aol.com
Mon Oct 11 11:18:08 EDT 2010

Ummm, I have to disagree with the below. All you can set on the rear is the toe setting on any FC and early model. Any thrust angle is a function of the engine and drivetrain not being square in the chassis.

Even an alignment shop that deals with older cars will not have the "correct" shims for the passenger side of the trans mount. All they will have is the genaric horse shoe shims that are readilly available.

Ken Hand
248-613-8586
www.corvairmechanic.com

he best thing is to take the van to a competent shop for a four  wheel
lignment; if it is a shop that services older, classic cars, they will  have
hims. Good idea to take the shop manual with you (mainly for the alignment
pecks). With our vans, rear toe is not really adjustable, but the shims you
mention DO set the rear thrust angle relative to the front  wheels. When
he shimming is incorrect, the vehicle will "crab" (the rear  wheels will not
irectly follow the front wheels).

Of course, there are things you can try, yourself using strings,  measuring
apes, wet tires driven across dry pavement, etc., but I prefer a  digital
lignment rack + a tech who knows Corvairs. If you are anywhere  near St.
ete Fl, I know of such a shop & tech.