[FC] Shims between Transmission And Front Engine Mount Bracket Question!

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Mon Oct 11 23:31:54 EDT 2010

At 11:18 10/11/2010 -0400, Ken Hand wrote:
>Ummm, I have to disagree with the below. All you can set on the rear is
>the toe setting on any FC and early model. Any thrust angle is a function
>of the engine and drivetrain not being square in the chassis.

It is important to remember that there is a special "spacer" that must be
inserted between the transmission and the bracket on the left side.  This
spacer is about 3/8" thick and fits on the single 7/16-14 bolt on that side.

>Even an alignment shop that deals with older cars will not have the
>"correct" shims for the passenger side of the trans mount. All they will
>have is the genaric horse shoe shims that are readilly available.

In the event that the correct shims have not been available, I have
used  3/8" washers of various thicknesses in leu of shims.  One can either
place a jack under the transmission and remove both right side 3/8"-16
bolts or do them one at a time with some degree of fuss.  I have found that
a minor amount of adjustment to thrust angle can be made by placing the
correct thickness of shims (or washers) on either the right or left side of
the bracket.

I usually try to set the rear toe and thrust angle the best I can using a
steel tape (with an assistant) and wet tire tracks (with a lot of trial and
error) before I bring the vehicle to the alignment shop.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI