[FC] Shims ...

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 12 13:07:15 EDT 2010

>I have found that a minor amount of adjustment to thrust angle can be made by placing the correct thickness of shims (or washers) on either the right or left side of
>the bracket.

I really feel awkward, disagreeing with some of the sage voices on this
list, but I'm in Dale's camp on this one -- minor changes can be made to
the thrust angle by intelligent use of the transmission shims while
correctly setting the toe.  Thus, there are no factory provisions for
major thrust angle changes.  Sorta like fitting Vega doors or aligning
Chevettes (caster & camber) - nada.

Also that "spacer" is a four speed only device -- an FC 4-speed needs
something there just to provide clearance for the trans bracket to the
front of the transmission -- it could be shims or washers, or whatever,
but if it's not there, either the aluminum front housing on the trans is
taking a lot of stress it wasn't designed for, or your bracket is bent.
Once it is in place, then you can start adding alignment shims, as
needed.  I'd expect to see that spacer welded to the bracket, but that's
not the way GM saw it.

Bill Strickland