[FC] Shims ...

Joel McGregor joelsplace at earthling.net
Tue Oct 12 20:19:22 EDT 2010

I posted this yesterday but of course just hit "reply" so it didn't go out.
My 2 cents...
I used to do alignments for a living and the computer alignment systems are just easier and faster.  At best they are only as good as actually taking a real measurement yourself.  I do my own now with some basic tools I made even though I do have a real alignment machine(old).  I use the home built tools for Corvairs and the alignment machine for things I don't have the time or inclination to build the tools for.  I have an old aluminum tray from a 6 foot dry erase board that has pointers bolted to it to check toe, a level to check camber and a tool that centers on both ball joint studs to check caster.  FC and earlies can have a little camber adjustment if you make your own front mounts with metal straps and studs with a nut on both sides of the crossmember to move it up and down.  The ones I made have no rubber in them and my '63 drives worlds better with the powertrain not moving around.  Don't use solid mounts with automatics - the aluminum ears on the transmission are too fragile.  You have to do coarse camber adjustments with the springs. Don't forget to loosen the rear mount when shimming the front so it can move.  You can also loosen the rear mount and pry the powertrain to put some tension on the rubber so it won't move around so much and maybe not have to shim it at all.

Joel McGregor