[FC] Trans mount shims

kenharri at comcast.net kenharri at comcast.net
Wed Oct 13 12:36:25 EDT 2010

Hi Eddie,

I am assuming you are discussing a 4spd trans.

I can relate my personal experience.  I purchased my '64 Greenbrier last November.  She drove a bit  wierd and the rear engine mount bolt and rubber bisquit were up against the right side of t he mount box .  After consulting VV, the assembly manual, Clarks catalog and crawling underneath, I found that I had an incorrect "special spacer " on the driver's side (mine was 9/16" thick instead of 3/8").  There was nothing under the one remaining bolt  (of two bolts) on the passenger side.  The other passenger side bolt was broken off in the transmission case.  When I tried to loosen  th e only remaining passenger side bolt the head popped right off.  The PO had used common gr ade bolts! I now had only one of the three bolts holding my t rans to the crossmember and the engine was hanging right side low and undriveable .

I got the correct 3/8"  "special spacer" (Clark's part # C9387) for the driver's side.  This is really nothing more than a really thick washer (3/8" thick). I also replaced the transmission case (Corvair Ranch) after several attempts to extract the broken bolt shafts without success.  I  replaced the common bolts the PO used .  On the passenger side I tried various stacks of washers to get the rear mount centered.  I ended up with the 3/8" thick "special spacer on the driver's side and two 1/16" thick regular washers under each of the two passenger side bolts (1/8" total thickness).  The van drives wonderfully now.  She is my daily driver and shows no weird tire wear after 1200 miles since the June 1st fix.

The factory style spacers  for the passenger side are  designed so you can slide them into place without completely removing the bolts.  Using w ashers requires the removal of one bolt at a time and a bit of fiddling to get them in place but otherwise work just fine. Make sure you have exactly the same thickness of washers u nder each of the passenger side bolts.  Don't skimp on the bolts you use.  I would recommend using at least grade 5 if not grade 8.

Good luck!

Kent Harrington

'63 Monza Vert

'64 Greenbrier Daily Driver