[FC] FC Shifter Brace

Ken Hand vairmech at aol.com
Tue Oct 26 16:30:11 EDT 2010

 I have driven and seen the brackets and braces on the earlier manual FC's. What it looked like it was for is to keep the engine from moving back and forth and ultimately to keep the shifter from moving back and forth thus staying in gear. The tolerance that it was supposed to be adjusted to was something like a 1/8 inch from the xmember, if memory serves me correctly. For the most part they are not really needed if you don't have one. If you do, you may as well use it and adjust it properly. I think I remember something in the maintenance manual about the adjustment.

The above said, I have driven manual FC's and had them pop out of gear on bumpy roads. When that would happen you wouldn't really want your hand near the shifter. And, if you kept your hand on the shifter it still came out of gear because your hand would dampen the shifter movements and make it come out of gear also.

Ken Hand
248-613-8586
www.corvairmechanic.com