[FC] Front suspension differences

Andrew Sego andrew_sego at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 6 22:57:56 EDT 2010

I'm starting a new 61 Rampside project. I recently parted out a 64 Rampside
because the body was just to far gone.  I have the 110 FC engine and both
suspensions out.  I'd like to rebuilt the suspensions from the 64 and swap them
into the 61 later on.  I've read that early FC's used station wagon based parts
and later ones used C10 truck parts.  I have a few questions about my proposed
swap.

When exactly was the switch?  Is it when they went to floor shift and hole thru
the tank?

Is one design better or stronger than the other?  I'd guess the C10 style parts
are easier and/or cheaper to find.

Do they swap out either way?  (early in late or late into an early) I've noticed
a notch on the top center of the 64 crossmember for shifter clearance.  Does
that make it like gas tanks where you can put a late in an early but not the
other way around?

Thanks in advance

Andrew Sego
Indianapolis IN