[FC] Front suspension differences & floor

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 7 13:16:40 EDT 2010

>I've read that early FC's used station wagon based parts and later ones used C10 truck parts.? I have a few questions about my proposed swap.

Since the quickest way to get someone out there who "knows" to respond
with good info, is to forge ahead and mis-speak -- online Corvair folks
love to correct mistakes, sorta like Roger Rabbit resisting "Shave and a
Haircut ...", so here I go --

I  am not wholly convinced that these two suspensions are different -- I
believe the biggest difference is in Chevy's use of the parts.  If they
are different, it might be in minor areas, like the size of the ball
joint or the wheel bearings used.  Admitttedly, I have not had an
opportunity, like you do, to make detailed comparisons between them.

>When exactly was the switch?? Is it when they went to floor shift and hole thru
>the tank??

As already noted,  late 1963 seems to be the point most suggest, but if
the suspension isn't "really" different, how would you notice? The
Corvair truck series, other than the change to the 164 ci engine, seems
to have been modified through out its life with small mid-year changes,
stuff like the gutters for the front doors sometime late in 1962.

>Is one design better or stronger than the other??

Believing, as I do, that they aren't "different", I don't know.  I do
suppose the later one "may" have been "impoved" in some way, but
sometimes "improved" means lighter & cheaper.

> I'd guess the C10 style?parts are easier and/or cheaper to find.

I don't think parts for either would be hard to find and that they would
be similarly priced.

>Do they swap out either way?? (early in late or late into an early) I've noticed
>a notch on the top center of the 64 crossmember for shifter clearance.? Does
>that make it like gas tanks where you can put a late in an early but not the
>other way around?

Remember, you can swap anything into anything, if you are willing to do
the work to make it happen.  Yes, the notch seems to be required, if you
are using the later style shifter.  The later shifter provides the
oportunity to have a less "ambiguous" gear shifter -- I always thought
the earlier "mystery shifter" was a good anti-theft device for the
uninitiated  -- I never had any problems shifting with one, but no, they
are not an old H gated Ferrari.  The later shifter does require some
specific parts -- clearance notches here and there, a tube through the
gas tank (they hold less fuel), but you are less likely to damage the
shift linkage due to low ground clearence -- bend that earlier tube on a
rock or stump while you are out camping in the woods, and you will
experience a bit of a delay in your plans to leave during that violent
thunderstorm.

Sounds like you already have most of the pieces for your floor -- the
required steel is listed in the parts book -- you cut your own plywood
to fit -- sounds like what you are missing are the two metal supports
that run crosswise -- I seem to recall that one or both of them have a
fold down leg for additional center support.  Additional info may be
available, if required, but not immediately.

Bill Strickland