[FC] diff. rebuild

Clark Hartzel chartzel at comcast.net
Thu Apr 14 13:45:01 EDT 2011

The side retainers just preload the bearings.  They do not have anything to
do with stub axle play.  The stub axles pilot into the ring gear case and
engage the splines of the side gears.  A solution if stubs are really loose
fit might be to chrome the O.D. of the stubs.  In that case you don't have
to take the powertrain out or disassemble anything other than pulling the
axles.  You can measure the amount of play with a dial indicator and take
the stubs to a chrome plater that does "hard chrome" not bumpers.
Clark Hartzel