[FC] Removing stuck brake drums

Andrew Sego andrew_sego at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 4 17:09:33 EDT 2011

This I got this 64 RS from a junkyard in trade for a no tresspassing sign en Espanol.  It was on flat tires stuck deep in the mud.  The drums are VERY stuck.  I've taken apart quite a few stuck drums before, but this one is especially challenging.  I tried to remove them on the vehicle but because of the rust and the way it was supported it just wasn;t safe.  I've already cut the anchor pins.  I think the shoes and drums have swollen together with rust.  Usually banging and prying on the drums results with the shoes staying attached to the drums and cocking inside the drums instead of sliding out.  It usually bends the wheel cylinder piston pins.  Beating on the drums usually ends up with smashed backing plates and broken drums.  Either way, something usually starts moving.  This one won't budge at all.  I've seen a large 4 jaw gear puller used to pull drums before but I don't have one.

I suppose before I cut the center web out of the drum I'll try grinding an access hole over the adjuster wheel.  If you can get the shoes backed off that usually does the trick.  Even with good access, the adjuster screws are usually so rusted that they won't budge either.  The drums, shoes, and cylinders are easier to find and replace than backing plates and axle bearings.

BTW, I have a 900# cast iron bend with a 10" vise on it.  Once clamped down, nothing much moves around.  I'll try a torch to see if that does the trick.

Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how it turns out.

-Andrew