[FC] Limp van door outside handle

Andrew Sego andrew_sego at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 5 12:03:48 EDT 2011

Chuck,

Which spring do you mean?

There is a heavy compression spring between the handle and the escutcheon.  Looking inside the inspection cover on the door edge I can also see a tension spring between the handle and the latch.  I pulled up on the top end of the tension spring and it made the handle pop up....Not completely but most of the way.  I'm not sure a heavier spring is the right move on the latch though.

Ben,

It sounds like you're saying the problem is the fit between the handle and the shaft is too loose which allows the handle to rotate about the shaft.  Is that correct?

-Andrew