[FC] Best Plain Jane Corvair Oil Tired Of Guessing!

Ken Hand vairmech at aol.com
Mon Aug 22 21:58:50 EDT 2011

 Well, I have been using the Wal Mart Super Tech oil for years in my Corvairs with no problems. Although, I have to stress that 10W-40 is the lightest grade to use in any Corvair.

This subject has been beaten to death here with as many opinions as there are people. The bottom line is, again, any oil that does NOT have the "gas saving" (star burst) is safe to use in our flat tappet engines. Personally I stay away from straight weight oils as the technology on multi-grade oils has far surpassed what most any straight weight oil has been engineered to.

Another tip is, use the lightest weight multi-grade oil that will maintain oil pressure at hot idle, but nothing less than the 10W-40.

Why nothing lighter than the 10W-40? Anything with a lighter grade was made for vehicles with catalytic converters. The converters did not like the zinc or ZZDP that was in the oils so the formula had to be changed. As an average rule all the oils had the amount of zinc reduced and the line was drawn at the 10W-40 mark because all the newer cars were using roller lifters as opposed to flat tappets. Also the new cars were requiring lighter oils like 10W-30, 5W-30, and 5W-20 mostly because of closer tolerances in engines.

Ken Hand
248-613-8586
www.corvairmechanic.com

http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x118/vairmech/Viet%20Nam%20Pictures%201971/