[FC] Best Plain Jane Corvair Oil Tired Of Guessing!

gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com
Tue Aug 23 07:08:15 EDT 2011

So why insist on supporting Wal Mart?
Would you beleive Dollar General carries their own DG brand of 10W-40 oil?
On the back it says made for vehicles 1988 and older.
It is made at the JD Street refinery in Missouri.

http://www.jdstreett.com/

I heard on the internet that the DG brand had zinc, so e-mailed Dollar General asking for a technical data sheet.
They did one better, they had the refinery manager call me. (good customer service from dollar general)
In any event, this oil is basically the old SF classification with 900 ppm of zddp.
Not perfect, but more than you will get from most of the oil on the shelf at Wally World.
I have it in 3 out of 5 of my Corvairs right now.

An alternative is Mobil 1 Synthetic 10w-30 or 10w-40 high mileage which has 1100 ppm of zddp.
That you can get at Wally World. But it has to say high mileage to get the zinc you need.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf

There are other alternatives, like Brad Penn oil, Made by American Refining Group, but you have to get that from a dealer, and that is pricey.

Wal Mart carried ACCEL brand 10w-40 that had the zinc, but dropped it due to poor sales.

Gary Swiatowy