[FC] Tire Safety *rant*

Joel McGregor joelsplace at earthling.net
Wed Feb 9 14:11:07 EST 2011

I always figured the safest thing to do is don't hit anything by learning how to drive and driving something that goes where you point it or modify what you have until it will.  That's one of my favorite things about Corvairs - they tend to go where you point them or at least the EMs do.  LMs aren't as good at that.  All this front wheel drive spin about working better in ice and snow is just a lot of advertizing garbage.  The only place I've noticed that a front wheel drive car works better is from a dead stop in ice.  Once I'm moving give me a rear wheel drive car any day.  I have a FWD car I drive most of the time because it gets 30mpg but I drive a Corvair or my '82 Malibu (with sway bars adjusted for some oversteer) when the roads are slippery.  I made the mistake of driving my FWD with new tires the other day in the ice and was concerned about getting home in one piece.  The Malibu came out the next day with bald tires and did much better.  You can always steer a RWD car with the rear wheels but FWD stuff tends to not steer at all.  I've never driven any of my FCs in ice but I'm sure they are better than any FWD car.  AWD is another story but I don't have any of those.
Joel McGregor