[FC] oil

J R Read hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 11 23:41:56 EST 2011

Hi Rad,

I've used oil designated as for diesel engines for a couple of years.  Over
the past summer I could no longer find my favorite at the local FLAPS.  This
sent me on a search for an alternative and I found that Mobil 1 15W-50 has
1200PPM Phosphorus and 1300PPM zinc.  The chart I'm quoting is now a year
old (maybe more) - so do your own research.  Also, I began to wonder if oil
designed for diesel engines might have additives that were not good for
gasoline engines.  I don't know, but that thought was another reason for me
to no longer use the diesel engine rated oil.

The original question had to do with engine break-in.  In that case, you
should be looking for an oil with a designation NOT past the letter L or
using a ZDDP additive during the break-in period.  You probably do NOT want
to be using synthetic oil for the first 2 to 3,000ish miles.

If you can find "old stock" Rotella (L? J? - I forget the designation at the
moment) that works OK too for flat tappet engines.  The newer (last year,
maybe two - designation M - I think) does NOT!

Later, JR