[FC] Engine block

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 7 13:24:25 EST 2011

>Not so -  I assume you are referring to the hole for the FC filler tube.
>That hole  is in the block, not the rear cover.
>
>Mike, if that's a 164 inch  replacement engine, that case would be the
>ideal starting point for your new  engine since it will accept an FC oil filler.
> You can tell what it is  for sure by taking off the top cover and looking
>for the reliefs for the rod  bolts.

Agreed, except one can put an early crank in a late block -- what one
really wants to see is the"804" (or whatever it is) cast into the crank
throw, and, for added value, a nitridied crank (ampersand mark stamped
into flywheel end of crank)

Also, the generator adapter does not have the hole for the car filler
tube -- if it would happen to be an alternater adapter with out the
hole, that is a 65 FC only piece.  Also, the rear engine mount, tin
cover, and rear seal retainer parts are special parts on a 164 inch
motor for the hamonic balancer, which a 164 "should" have (but that is
no guarantee).

I "believe" most replacement blocks were unstamped, whereas replacement
engines were -- without looking, wasn't that the "XX" suffix?

I'd say save the engine, at least.  Also fits wagons.

Bill Strickland