[FC] Paint questions

Steve Spilatro spilatrs at marietta.edu
Sun Jul 17 11:22:47 EDT 2011

I’m Steve, a longtime Corvanatics member but just recently joined this forum.  I’m restoring my 61 8-door window van.  I know that many of the experts have discussed paint colors in the past, and I’ve looked through the archive trying to try to resolve some questions: Any help that can be offered would be appreciated.

The color code is a rare 743F, which I have not been able to identify, with std trim. The original colors have been largely obliterated over the years, although I suspect a red or maroon exterior.  Can anyone help?

These are probably really dumb questions:
What would be the floor color?  What remnants of original paint I can find on the front floor of the cab look like a dark somewhat metallic gray – might this be the “charcoal gray? What’s the difference between ‘Charcoal gray’ and ‘Charcoal poly’?  Should the floor be a different color from the rest of the interior?

Does standard trim mean that the interior color is the same as the exterior?

If I were to paint the interior a different color (say fawn beige) than the exterior, what elements of the interior should be fawn?

Is fawn beige for 1961 different than that of other years?

Is eye-ball color matching the best one can do these days?  Has anyone compiled a cross reference to current colors?