[FC] Concern on head removal / Jack Use

Ken Hand vairmech at aol.com
Mon Jul 18 16:11:31 EDT 2011

 I need to comment on the floor jack procedure.

I have worked on Corvairs professionally for a few years now. My first few attempts and successes were done with the scissors jack and a small bottle jack, I didn't have the money for a floor jack back then. Was it safe? Probably not but when times dictate you do what you need to do to accomplish the task.

Later on after I had done a couple of side jobs my first big purchase was a $39 floor jack, if you can call it that. They still cost the same today! Later yet I was able to afford a garage sale good floor jack only because I knew the person and he let me make payments. I learned the art of balancing an engine only and a full drive train on a 2X6 and when I could find one a 2X10 or 12. This was all done by myself, yes I have dropped a few but I can count them on my fingers. In the earlier years I have also broken a couple of diff snouts, no one is perfect.

If you have the choice have help there just to help steady, just in case.

BTW, I still use the jack and board method even though I have a hoist.

Ken Hand
248-613-8586
www.corvairmechanic.com

http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x118/vairmech/Viet%20Nam%20Pictures%201971/

By the time you disconnect everything needed to drop it down enough to do the head, you will notice the whole powertrain is ready to come out.  If you have a nice powertrain jack you might as well remove it.  But if this is a one man operation with a floor jack, a piece of wood and a prayer then leaving it on those front mounts can be much easier and safer.Good luck!AndySent via MOTOBLUR™ on Verizon Wireless
=