[FC] Replacing fuel tank 5/16" rubber line....and fuel gauge

Andrew Sego andrew_sego at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 25 10:30:29 EDT 2011

I'm been fighting vaporlock on my van recently.  Thinking that it may be sucking
air I replaced the rubber line at the back and added a fuel filter.  Going to
the front I can see that the line is somewhat swollen.  Also I can see that
someone has either smeared grease on the floor above the gas tank, or fuel
vapors are leaking up there and softening tar based undercoating.  It looks
rather tight up in there.  Is it possible to replace that line without R&Ring
the tank?

I have a spare front suspension and steering linkage that I tore down last week
and is being dropped off at the blaster today.  If I need to drop the tank to
replace the line, I'd like to wait a couple of weeks until the "new" suspension
is ready to go back in.  This will allow me better access to clean the underside
of the front floor and coat it for longevity.

Also my fuel gauge isn't working...always reads full I disconnected the ground
wire and the gauge went full.  I cleaned up the connection and reattached.  Now
it's empty again.  What next? Should I be looking at the gauge or the sender?
BTW the gauge worked a few years ago when the van was new to me.  Hasn't been
driven much since then until recently.

Thanks
Andrew