[FC] Replacing fuel tank 5/16" rubber line....and fuel gauge

Ken Hand vairmech at aol.com
Mon Jul 25 10:45:29 EDT 2011

 When I first got my Van I also had a problem with vapor lock. I did everything I could think of using all the little tricks to cure it. I finally ended up putting an electric fuel pump up front and removing the mechanical pump.

Some of the things I tried was new rubber, repositioning the metal line in the engine compartment, insulating the same line, and replacing the fuel pump several times with new.

The absolute cure for me was the electric pump. The FC lends it's self to the in-tank pump very well with the long pick-up tube but most opt for the external as it is easier to do. If anyone opts for the external, do not mount it to the body as the floor becomes a very large speaker and you will hear every click of the pump all the time. Just position the pump so it will hang on the rubber lines protected behind the bulkhead that is just behind the tank, then run a ground wire. You have an instant sound insulator.

Ken Hand
248-613-8586
www.corvairmechanic.com

http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x118/vairmech/Viet%20Nam%20Pictures%201971/