[FC] Replacing fuel tank 5/16" rubber line....and fuel gauge

Andrew Sego andrew_sego at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 27 15:47:56 EDT 2011

>1. Have you checked routing of lines so that you have air gaps between hot sheet
>metal and line?

All clear!

>2. How about vapor lock carbs? The ones with little stainless arms and rubber
>tips on lower side by base of carb?

They are 65 carbs with vapor flap vents.

>3. Gas cap vent clogging when warm or due to displaced dirt under gasket?

New vented gas cap from Clarks.

>Do get a mirror and check under shroud - heads and cylinders for not only
>flashing but simpler, shop rag, etc?

Will do.

>Mouse nests can spring up really quickly.. between new engine and running..let
>it sit a while and you are screwed.

Honestly Chuck, the shop rag/mouse nest thing never even crossed my mind with
this van.  Considering where it'd been parked, it's an idea worth checking.

Thanks.

>Could leakage past the valve guides/valves be leaning out the mixture and
>causing your engine to run hotter than normal??  Possible air leakage past
>throttle plates in the carbs?? My two cents.Tim '61 Rampy 104 - 4

Tim,  I don not know about the valves and guides.  I did rebuild the carbs right
after I got the van.  The throttle shafts were sloppy so they were rebushed with
teflon sleeves.  I made sure the throttle plates were fully closed and centered
when I put them back together.  After sitting idle for a few more years, I
finally got a title so I got back to it.  By this point the right carb didn't
have an accelerator pump shot.  I took both carbs back apart, cleaned out some
rusty crud from the bowls, blew out all the passges and got the accel pumps
working again.  Based on the crud in the bowls from the tank/lines, this is when
I added the fuel filter.

>Based on 3 things you said below we may be chasing the wrong problem.
Have you checked the accelerator pumps?  I've had vairs that sat long enough
that the acc pump cups got hard.  The symptoms would be no start if you kill it
hot.  When cold the chokes would make it rich enough to start but after the
chokes were open it would run ok but not restart.
Could it be flooded?  That's what I've usually seen on hot soak.  The heat boils
the fuel out of the carbs and you have to hold it wide open and crank for longer
than normal to get it going.
I would check to see if the acc pumps are squirting immediately after killing
the engine when hot and then before you try to start it after the heat soak
period that normally gives you the trouble.  The first test will tell you the
pumps are working and the second will tell you if the carbs have boiled out all
the fuel.
Your swelled fuel line needs to be replaced but in my experience collapsing fuel
lines mostly cause an out of gas symptom running down the road not a few hours
after the car has run.
Are you sure the spark is good after the heat soak?
Sorry if some of these issues have already been discussed.
Joel McGregor

Joel,

The van will start back up if I kill it hot, unless I wait a period of time,
then it won't.  The first time it happened, it started back up and got a few
blocks before it died.  Checked the accelerator pumps and it was dry.  It would
run on ether, but still wouldn't pump.  Let it cool down, primed the carbs and
it started up.  On the next occurance I happened to have a chest cooler with me
so I soaked a towel with ice water and packed it with cubes.  I sat it on the
fuel pump, and it started up after 20 minutes or so.  The following couple of
times it was after coming home from work.  Went inside, cleaned up to go to the
local cruise night, came back out and no start.  Since it was scorching outside
I didn't check anything I just went back inside the house.  Started up fine the
next day though like nothing had happened.

I'll try the tests you described and give a report.

There is another problem I've been experiencing, and I haven't mentioned
it because I thought it was unrelated.  The more I think about, maybe they are
related.  The engine starts up immediately when cold.  Chokes work well.  It
idles well, sounds good and has good throttle response with no hiccups.  Out on
the road it runs okay, but lacks power at the top end.  By top end I mean
2500-3000+ rpm (guessing...I don't have a tach on this one.) The engine runs
best when it's short shifted and lugged. Off the line is good but acceleration
is rather flat when I try to tach it out a bit. It's like it's not going
anywhere any faster regardless of my shift points. The engine still runs
smoothly at higher rpms; there is no sputtering and stuttering. It just doesn't
pull any more. It has a newer clutch. I have no reason to believe it is
slipping. Brakes have been rebuilt and nothing is dragging.  I did a compression
test when I first got the van and some cylinders were low, others abnormally
high.  I adjusted the valves after doing an O ring job, and it seems like some
of the rockers may have been loose.  I checked the harmonic balancer mark to see
if it had slipped.  It was fine.  When I had the oil pan off I checked the cam
gear to see if it had slipped.  The mark was right at the crankcase split.  My
thoughts were the camshaft was going flat.  This would explain the high
compression numbers, the loose rockers, and the asthmatic nature at moderate to
high speed.

Something that I have noticed lately is how well it runs when it's cold.  First
thing in the morning, or leaving work in the afternoon, it runs great.  I can
feel  and hear that the engine pulls better in all gears with the throttle
mashed.  It runs how I think it should.  Once it warms up, I can feel the lack
of power, and the engine sound at higher speeds changes. It's the weezing going
nowhere fast sound.  Maybe it has something to do with the chokes, maybe it just
runs better cold...?

Like I said in my last post, I have another fresh engine that I am putting
together to replace this one.  I'd like to know whether the problem is actually
the engine or something else.  My friend needs an engine or core engine for his
convertible, and this would fit the ticket well IF it was either repairable, or
at least a good core.

Thanks for all the help guys.  I usually do a pretty good job at solving these
kind of problems on Corvairs, but this one has me frustrated and stumped.

-Andrew