[FC] Sloppy steering

Andrew Sego andrew_sego at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 15 10:27:34 EDT 2011

>The arm is moving and the stud is solid in the relay rod and the end of the
>boomerang is sloppy on the stud. <

Yes Ken that is correct.  I can see the lost motion in the joint, but the nut
underneath the stud does not move in relation to the relay rod.  It's all side
to side lost motion, and the stud does not rock back and forth or wiggle.

This van was hasn't seen the road in over ten years.  I've had it for almost 4
years, and just finally got a title for it.  Before that it was parked inside a
drive-in movie screen for several years.  Brakes work, but pull sometimes....I
don't trust them yet.  Suspension isn't really bad, but I'd like to put some
real miles on this van for camping trips and such.  Steering is, well, sloppy,
but I think most of that is coming from this boomerang joint.  I have the
suspension from a 64 RS that got parted out last year.  I'd like to rebuild that
one for peace of mind, and swap it into the van later.  I haven't done it before
now because I didn't want to sink any more money or time into a vehicle that I
didn't legally own yet.  Now I do and its time to get to work.

Thanks

Andrew