[FC] HOT COIL

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Thu Jun 23 22:12:09 EDT 2011

i see most coils run hot. i put a heat sink on the bottom of mine , plus a
heat sink on the bottom of my ignition amp (OLD allison still works good).
the  amp is mounted on the right side "air deflector" panel , and it ran
warm. i  cut a chunk of transistor heat sink finned aluminum to fit the contour
of  the raised area , and mounted it firmly with heat sink compound . i
could take  pictures later , but am very tied up for the next few days. a small
round chunk  is also on the bottom of a few of my coils now.
 i have bent my "flaps" on the lower shrouds inside as closed as i  can.
someday when / if i get time , i hope to make cover plates for both  sides
seeing as i do not drive it in the winter , i feel those areas feed  un needed
heat back to the motor. i have the factory plates on my 64 coupe  (factory
A/C) motor. i know that bending the plate by the oil filler helped for
sure.this winter in my shop i plan on dealing with that issue, and maybe moving
the coil to the back body support? bracket instead of on the shroud (64 WB
motor) right over that hole.
PS i tried  more than one coil, before thinking it must have been  normal ,
bending that flap did help it run cooler. I did not have running issues
because of it though.
regards, Tim Colson